Sunday 10 July 2011

Endurance Training Workout

Sometimes I am asked "What you doing to loose weight?"  This year's preparation I must admit have been moving along smoothly!!  To answer the above question I would say, I am enjoying my Diet, Weight Training and Cardiovascular Training thus far and I am looking forward to competing this year 2011! 

This year, my cardiovascular training in particular has been stepped up with the use of Plyometrics (plyos) Training. Plyometrics training as described by the Wikipedia is a "designed to produce fast, powerful movements, and improve the functions of the nervous system, generally for the purpose of improving performance in sports"(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plyometrics).

You may ask why do plyos for your sport? Well as a Body Fitness Athlete it is important to be able to display a well built, tone, and symmetrical body to win the judges eye.  Plyos help develop the entire body once done correctly and performed regularly with one's weight training and cardio training.'


So here is an idea of combination of exercises I typically perform which I know my fellow cross fit athletes also execute:

25 Jump Squats
25 Bur-pees
25 Dead lifts (50 - 65% of body weight)
25 TRX Rows
25 Clap Push Ups on an incline (real pushups)
20 Walking Lunges with Plate held above head 
30 Hanging Leg Raises
25 Shoulder swings

Normally one would be timed and you have to do as many rounds as possible in a said time.  So for instance I would have 30minutes to perform all the above. I would aim at trying to complete 4 rounds of same.  Upon completion you may need a mop and a bath towel but that's okay!

The aim is to have fun while ensure correct form in executing all the exercises as quickly as possible. Additionally one must note that there is some weights involved however not too heavy to avoid improper execution. This is key to impeccable form and resulting in the correct muscles being worked.

Let's hear what your plyo workout may consist off! Try this program if you are an advance training athlete! Precaution is key. Let's do this!

3 comments:

  1. This is a wonderful way to burn fat and have some fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heading out today to complete this plyo combo!! I am adding some 2minute sprints to it as well Yea!! I would let you know how things go!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a Blast!!! two things were the most challenging for me ... Bur-pees (really don't like it) and the Sprints lol! I completed 3 rounds in 41:02 minutes!! Yea!! Would try to post some video footage!!

    ReplyDelete